Business metrics for system maintenance
Trying to see if a backend system runs properly, here are some questions and metrics that I have found interesting to look at. This is a first stab, rather than an exhaustive list.
- how stable is the system?
- how probable it is for an incident to happen?
- how fast can we recover from an incident?
- are users satisfied with the system?
- is the system responsive?
- how does the system perform in the weak/problematic areas?
- how much are the infrastructure/maintenance/license cost?
- what is the total cost of ownership of the system?
- speed of change
- how long does it take for a feature to be delivered?
Thanks to Peter for the discussion.
Update - further reading:
book Personal MBA, chapter Economic Values lists 9 common economic values
article Services; not Server
Metrics For Your Web Application's Dashboards
Would you like to connect? Subscribe via email or RSS , or follow me on Twitter!