Business metrics for system maintenance
If you are ensuring that a backend system runs smoothly, here are some questions/metrics that might be interesting to look at. This is a first stab, rather than an exhaustive list.
These metrics can be communicated to C-level management.
- how stable is the system?
- how probable it is for an incident to happen?
- how fast can we recover from an incident?
- are users satisfied with the system?
- is the system responsive?
- how does the system perform in the weak/problematic areas?
- how much are the infrastructure/maintenance/license cost?
- what is the total cost of ownership of the system?
- speed of change
- how long does it take for a feature to be delivered?
Thanks to Peter for the discussion.
Update - further reading: